Monday, July 14, 2008

vacation knitting

Although I had a wonderful time in the country last week, I am glad to be home and blogging again. While I was away I finished these:
I used a set of five 2.75 mm sock needles (Knit Picks Harmony) for a gauge of 6.5 stitches per inch in Dream in Color Gaia, color called Lipstick Lava. I had beginners luck with the first short-row heel. The heel on the second sock was more lumpy and full of holes than the first; even the grafted toe did not come out as well. The socks are still ok though. Even though they're wool I wore them on an outing to the Fernwood Botanic Garden in Buchanan, Michigan where I saw this (below). Look closely in the center of the photo and you'll see what I saw. I am rarely lucky enough to see reptiles or amphibians in nature. The socks kept my feet comfortable and must have brought me luck.
I also worked on my endless skirt (first photo), making some progress, and I made 3 more Learn to Knit Afghan squares. I realized that the dark blue yarn I originally planned to use, because I already owned it, won't work because it makes squares the wrong size. So I had to buy some more Cascade 220 superwash in dark blue to make the squares a consistent size. Now my whole project has cost a large fortune rather than a small one as I had expected.

That bottom square is sort of ugly, but I made a rule that I have to use all the squares, so I will.

Here is a final comment for those unfamiliar with Chicago and the Great Lakes. Great Lakes country is unlike that of anywhere else in the U.S. Some people say that the green lanes of southwest Michigan remind them of England. Others say the Lake Michigan shores remind them of the Baltic Sea. The countryside is domestic and gently green. The lake, actually an inland sea, is wild, even when calm, with more shades of blue, green, grey, and brown than it is possible to imagine. Here are some photos:



We had perfect weather. Happy Bastille Day!

1 comment:

Carrie Ann said...

Looks like a great vacation!! Can't wait to hear about it! Btw, none of those squares were ugly.